Listen up–Net Neutrality ain’t dead yet and we can’t give up on the promise of a free and open internet. On December 14, 2017 the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) voted to reverse 2015 regulations established to protect net neutrality. Why is that scary? Because Net Neutrality lets all users have equal access to all internet content and prevents internet service providers (ISPs) from discriminating against content, such as charging extra for high-speed access to specific websites or blocking access to certain sites altogether.
Fortunately, Congress can stop the FCC through something called the Congressional Review Act. The CRA allows Congress to reverse regulatory actions within 60 legislative days of their enactment. Fifty senators have already endorsed a legislative measure to override the FCC’s recent decision to deregulate the broadband industry, with Susan Collins (R-ME) joining all 49 Democratic Senators. The tally leaves us just one Republican vote shy of the 51 required to pass a Senate resolution of disapproval, and move it to the house.
Give or take a day, we’ve got until February 14. We must make sure that we act quickly to reverse the FCC’s decision and preserve a free and open internet for all. We’ll get to the house later. For now, let’s focus on the Senate.
- Call our senators to ask them to reverse the FCC’s decision, and/or thank them for committing to it.
- Rob Portman: 202-224-3353 Script: “Hi, my name is [NAME] and I’m calling from [ADDRESS]. I’m calling to ask Sen. Portman to join all 49 Democratic Senators and Republican Sen. Susan Collins in voting to overturn the FCC and reinstate Net Neutrality. This is a critical election year, and 83% of Americans disagree with the FCC’s actions. It should be obvious what side of this issue Sen. Portman should take.
- Sherrod Brown: 202-224-2315 Script: “Hi, my name is [NAME] and I’m calling from [ADDRESS]. I’m calling to thank Sen. Brown for standing up for a free and open internet. I look forward to seeing him vote to overturn the FCC’s actions and reinstate Net Neutrality.
- Use this tool to make sure that our Congress members know that if they don’t Vote for Net Neutrality now, they will be voted out in November.
- Use one of these apps to test for Net Neutrality violations on your network.
Thank you to our allies at Wall-of-Us for today’s action!