Last night’s historic win means that progressive momentum is real, and it is huge. Our big election day wins in New Jersey and Virginia gave us hope, but now we know:
- in more than 65 special elections this year, progressive candidates have run 9 points ahead of Hillary Clinton on average.
- Trump’s net approval rating is lower today than it was for any previous president on record at this point in his term, and, remarkably, that’s been true for every day of his presidency.
- Polling on all the different health care bills the GOP has tried and failed to advance has been dismal.
- Democrats are currently 10 points ahead in generic congressional balloting, which would be enough to win the House despite significant gerrymandering.
And most importantly for this week: The Republican tax bill is less popular than any previously passed tax bill.
Not only is the public overwhelmingly against this bill, the GOP’s own members are struggling to compromise on almost all key provisions, with little progress to report just days before they had hoped to get the final bill to the president.
Today’s Action: Use this script from 5Calls to keep the pressure on Mike Turner and Rob Portman!
- Call Mike Turner at 202-225-6465
- Call Rob Portman at 202-224-3353
Hi, my name is [NAME] and I’m a constituent from [ADDRESS].
I’m calling to express my strong disapproval of H.R. 1, the disastrous Republican tax bill, and to ask that [REP NAME] vote against it when it comes out of the conference committee.
[ADD as many of the following reasons or your own]:
— Tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations will create a massive deficit increase, which will then be paid for with devastating cuts to Medicare, Social Security, education, and other vital programs.
— This bill was written behind closed doors by lobbyists and the American people have been consistently lied to about what it will do to their pocketbooks and livelihoods.
— The repeal of the ACA individual mandate will completely upend the health insurance market, uninsuring millions, spiking premiums, and risking coverage for those with pre-existing conditions.
— This bill will hand over pristine Alaskan land to oil companies, destroying protected land and endangering wildlife.
— The elimination of the SALT deduction will cause millions of middle-income Americans to pay higher taxes.
Thank you for your time and attention.